Welcome to our dedicated page for Healthcare Science Week, find out more about it but then join us by getting involved!
What is Healthcare Science Week?
Healthcare Science Week 2023 takes place from Monday 13th to Sunday 19th March 2023.
Healthcare Science Week is an annual week-long programme designed to promote and celebrate the amazing work of Healthcare Science professionals. The aim is to raise awareness of the wide range of careers and roles within Healthcare Science, highlighting the difference they all make to patients' lives.
It gives each one of us the chance to tell the public and other health professionals how science and technology is vital in modern patient care and changes lives for the better. It’s also an invaluable opportunity for existing Healthcare Science staff to inspire the next generation by promoting the new career structures in local schools and colleges.
The NHS Scotland Careers team have a detailed program of events for promotion of Healthcare Science Week. Check their website for any updates HERE
How Can You Get Involved?
Getting involved in Healthcare Science Week is easy, and you can participate in many ways. Your NHS Board or department could have a stand in a public area or the hospital’s foyer, give a presentation in a school or college, invite school and college students into one of the healthcare science departments, or get involved in STEM events during the campaign week. Lots of ideas for activities and resources are available on the STEM Scotland website.
Ideas for Virtual and Social Media Engagement
Healthcare Science Week 2023 placard
Tell your own story about why you love working in Healthcare Science. Please take photos of yourself and your colleagues with the placard and share them on social media using the hashtag #HCSWeekScot2023
Download the Healthcare Science Week placard (PDF) here
Share or Create videos
There are lots of career videos about Healthcare Science published by:
• various professional bodies
• NHS Scotland Careers website
Create a 30-second video sharing your experience working in
healthcare,’ A Day in the life of…’ and send it to us at
We’ll share these videos throughout the week on our social media @hcsnes using the hashtag#HCSWeekScot2023
Some ideas to include in your clip:
• a quick introduction to what you do
• the most exciting thing about your job
Ideas for In-person events
Organise an event
A rewarding way to engage with the public, our service users, and our next generation of healthcare Scientists is to organise an information event. Host a stand in a public area or the hospital foyer.
• host a stand in a public area or the hospital foyer
• give a presentation, in person or virtually, to a school, college, university, science society or club, or even your trust board
• invite school and college students for a tour of your workplace or run a workshop, if permitted
• contact your healthcare science lead at your NHS Board to help promote or to get involved with any organised events
Become a STEM ambassador
STEM Scotland has many NHS healthcare science ambassadors signed up. Becoming a healthcare science STEM ambassador is great fun, rewarding, and excellent for personal development and professional networking.
- Lots of ideas for activities and resources available on STEM Scotland website. There is also information about how you can get signed up as a STEM ambassador.
We’d love to hear from you!
If you are getting involved with promotions during Healthcare Science Week, we'd love to hear from you and your team. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, and we'll help promote your event and increase engagement.
Tag us in your social media @hcsnes. Remember to use the hashtag #HCSWeekScot2023
Resources to help
We have the following resources available:
• healthcare science career leaflets available as PDFs for printing (see documents below)
• healthcare Science Week 2023 placard here
• an advert to celebrate HCS week for sharing here
• career stories on the NHS Scotland Careers website
• a template for a ‘Day in the life of…’
• a template for a PowerPoint presentation about healthcare science careers that you can use. Download a Healthcare Science Careers overview Powerpoint presentation for your event here
For your email signature, you can add this image here
If you are a member of a professional body for your speciality, they may
have careers and free promotional materials to request.
Documents and related links
- HCS Week Scotland 2023 Placard
- Promotional Overview Healthcare Science
- NHS Scotland Careers Clinical Physiology Leaflet
- NHS Scotland Careers Life Sciences Leaflet
- NHS Scotland Careers Physical Sciences Leaflet
Scottish Governments’ Chief Healthcare Science Officer Awards 2023- 16th March
Healthcare Scientists are at the forefront of healthcare within Scotland and never more so than over the last two years during the Pandemic. We have seen our workforce demonstrate significant scientific and leadership skills enabling them to deliver their services in new and innovative ways whilst still maintaining high quality. These awards celebrate those skills and expertise and recognise innovation and transformation within our services, leadership within our workforce, and high quality education and service delivery. It also provides a platform to share best practice throughout our profession.
The Award Categories
- Healthcare Scientist of the year
- Rising Star
- Sustainability Champion
- Transforming service Delivery
- Healthcare Science research
- Inspiring the Future workforce
- Improvement in Action
The winners will be announced at an online event to be held Thursday 16th March.
If you have any questions or issues, please email CHCSO@gov.scot
Last updated: March 06, 2023